Visit the Grecìa Salentina
Grecia Salentina is a corner of Greece in Salento, an area of Puglia where, for historical reasons dating back to Magna Graecia first, and to the domination of the Byzantine Empire later, the dialect still spoken by the local population is of Greek derivation, and is called “griko” . 9 municipalities are part of the authentic Grecìa, which are Calimera, Castrignano de ‘Greci, Corigliano d’Otranto, Martano, Martignano, Melpignano, Soleto, Sternatia, Zollino. To these were subsequently added other non-Hellenophones for reasons of better organization of the territory. The local guides know very well how to conduct the visit so as not to miss the points of greatest artistic, historical and cultural interest, without getting lost in this network of poleis. By visiting the Grecìa Salentina, you are in fact at a point of conjunction of world importance between the Western culture of Latin derivation, which arrived with the expansion of the Roman Empire, and the pre-existing Greek one, which returned in another guise after the fall of the roman western empire.
Organization of the tour
You can choose to visit a single town in Grecìa Salentina (1 location) or you can visit three (3 locations). If you choose 1, it will be a walking tour and you will meet the Organizer directly on site at the agreed time. If you choose 3, you will travel by car and the Organizer will be able to provide a free ride to reach the chosen locations. All PlacenPeople organizers who will accompany you on cultural tours are licensed professional tour guides.
Alternatively, it is also possible to combine a locality in Grecìa Salentina with another locality in Salento (such as Lecce or Otranto). To do this, look at the tours of 2 locations, where our organizers are available to offer a ride by car (in the case of a few people – free of charge) or to organize transport by bus or minibus (in the case of groups).
Costs (and inclusions)
– STANDARD PRICE: the participation fee for this tour shown above, with a minimum of 2 people. The guide’s activity is included in the cost, while anything else is excluded (snacks, lunch, tickets, souvenirs, etc.).
– CHILDREN: PlacenPeople organizers apply a total discount for children up to 3 years old, while the payment is half the fee up to 11 years old, with a minimum payment of two adult rates. Ages 12 and over are considered adults.
Possible extra variations:
– PRIVATE TOUR: the standard tour is for groups, so other people can join. If you wish to take a private tour, no one else will have access to your booking at your time.
– WITH TASTINGS: in addition to the cultural tour, it includes a part of typical and local food tastings.
– LANGUAGES: the standard tour is available in English and Italian; other languages are available upon request.
– URGENCY: for urgent bookings (less than 24 hours before departure), an urgency management service by PnP is required for a maximum value of €20, which will be indicated before booking.
– ÉLITE: all PlacenPeople organizers are selected, from the youngest to the most experienced. However, you can request access to the “élite group”: you will be accompanied by those organizers who are considered the most experienced, who have only received very high reviews, and have a high number of tours already done. The organizers of the élite group demand a slightly higher than average price.
The entrance to the monuments and indoor places (optional), usually requires the possession of a green pass according to current regulations.
Duration and Period
Tours last approximately 2 hours for one location, approximately 7 hours for multiple locations. They always include free time on request, and you can choose the departure time. Available all year round.
Italian and English are standard languages for this tour. Other languages are available on request.
How to book
📩- PlacenPeople will send your request to the Organizer and reply with his confirmation
💳- You will pay a deposit with PayPal or card. Activities in PlacenPeople are sold directly by the Organizers.
👍- You and the Organizer will talk by phone and meet on the day of the activity. You will complete the payment directly to him/her.
Acivity code: TOUR0030