Visit Alta Murgia
The Alta Murgia National Park is one of the largest in Italy and includes both particular natural habitats and towns rich in history and traditions. Immerse yourself in the territory of the Park characterized by a suggestive succession of rocky ridges, rolling hills, karst cavities, steep escarpments, extensive pastures and forests of oaks and conifers, where the perennial action of nature mixes and coexists with the millennial one of a man who built stone farms, equipped with fences and stables for the flocks, cisterns, churches and infinite networks of dry stone walls.
Alta Murgia tells stories of wandering shepherds, of farm workers engaged in the processing of milk and wool and in the cultivation of cereals, almond trees and vines, but it also tells stories of dinosaurs and ancestral men who lived with the first domestic animals in the numerous caves that creep into the rocky ridges. Numerous archaeological sites testify to these historical relevance, a perfectly preserved human skeleton kept in one of the karst cavities in the Altamura countryside and footprints of ancient and enormous reptiles imprinted on the outcropping surfaces of some exhausted stone quarries. There is also historical evidence of the Norman-Swabian domination with many traces still present in the ancient villages of the Park area and which find their apex in the imposing Castel del Monte.
About the tour
The visit of Alta Murgia by foot to discover the hidden gems of the city is recommended for those who love calm and prefer to appreciate all the details invisible to a quick eye. All PlacenPeople organizers who will accompany you on cultural tours are licensed professional tour guides.
Possible ways to visit the city with PlacenPeople are:
- guided tour of 1 or 2 localities: Altamura, Gravina, Castel del Monte and others
- photo tour in minibus
- tour of 1 location associated with an activity among:
- trekking tour in the National Park
- bike tour
- Quad tour
For all these possibilities, you can inquire about availability and prices by contacting our PleacenPeople team directly via the Whatsapp button at the bottom of the page.
– FLEXI TOUR: the participation fee for this type of tour is € 94 per person with a minimum of 3 people. The passage by car is free, so even if you prefer to use your own car, the cost does not change. The activity of the organizer is included in the cost, while anything else is excluded (snacks, lunch, souvenirs, etc.) and entrance tickets to monuments or churches are excluded (which are however optional). Based on 3 dates chosen by you, we will tell you the date on which one the tour will start within 2 days from the first available date.
– OPEN TOUR: as for the flexi tour, the open tour is also a group tour, so other people can join. The difference is that the open tour allows you to choose the date on which to do the tour; the amount of € 20 must be added to the total amount.
– PRIVATE TOUR: the flexi tour is a group tour, so other people can join. In case you want to make a private tour, the amount of € 50 must be added to the total amount, and no other external reservations will be accepted.
– CHILDREN: PlacenPeople organisers apply a total discount for children up to 3 years old, while the payment is half-price up to 10 years old. From 11 years old they are considered adults. If a free car liftis required in the presence of small children, an extra charge may be required for the rental of the seat, if necessary.
- 1/2 PERSONS: booking is also accepted for a single guest (€ 150) or two guests (€ 94 per person).
- SINGLE LOCATION: you can also choose to remove one location, so the tour will take place in half day (and you will pay 150 euros in total for 2 people).
- AVAILABLE LANGUAGES: the standard tour is available in English and Italian; other languages are available upon request.
The cost of any extras will be agreed before you complete the booking. The entrance to the monuments and indoor places is optional. The organizers are certified tour guides or tour leaders with a licence.
Duration and Period
The tours can last from a few hours visit to the whole day. The recommended period is from spring to autumn (March-October), but the tours are available all year round if the weather is favorable.
These tours generally start with any number of participants. Remember to ask placenpeople (button below) to know if there are availableplaces in the date you choose.
How to book
💬- chat with PlacenPeople on Whatsapp or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
📩- PlacenPeople will send your request to the Organizer and reply with his confirmation
💳- You will pay a deposit with PayPal or card. Activities in PlacenPeople are sold directly by the Organizers.
👍- You and the Organizer will talk by phone and meet on the day of the activity. You will complete the payment directly to him/her.
Acivity code: TOUR0020