Altamura is one of the best known Apulian villages, especially for its archaeological treasures. The fossil finds of the so-called “Man of Altamura” are famous, which testify to the human presence in this territory as early as 40,000 years BC, as well as the amazing dinosaur footprints a few kilometers from the city. With its architecture Altamura testifies to the impressive passage of the various dominations in Puglia and it’s a natural proscenium of these events, thanks to its truly suggestive karst nature that accentuates its ancestral atmosphere.
Explore its magic with PlacenPeople community’s organizers in this guided tour that will take you on a visit to its megalithic walls between medieval churches and the remarkable Frederick cathedral. Recommended the exploration of the culinary local traditions, marked by a strongly peasant character, whose delicacy and genuineness is still reflected today in the production of “Altamura bread” famous throughout Italy and exported all over the world. or in the famous local walnut liqueur “Padre Peppe”.
About the tour
The visit of Altamura by foot to discover the hamlet’s gems is recommended for those who love calm and prefer to appreciate all the details invisible to a quick eye. All PlacenPeople organizers who will accompany you on cultural tours are licensed professional tour guides.
Possible ways to visit the city with PlacenPeople are:
- walking tour (cultural)
- street food tour
For all these possibilities, you can inquire about availability and prices by contacting our PleacenPeople team directly via the Whatsapp button at the bottom of the page.
If you want to enrich your trip with the discovery of another unique local pearl, we recommend you to explore one of our tours to 2 locations, combining the visit of Altamura with the magic of Matera, a village dug into the rock unique in the world and named UNESCO World Heritage Site. On these tours, many organizers make their car available for a free ride.
Costs (and inclusions)
- STANDARD PRICE: the participation fee for this tour is € 30 per person with a minimum of 2 people. The activity of the guide is included in the cost, while anything else is excluded (snacks, lunch, entrances, souvenirs, etc.).
- PRIVATE TOUR: The standard tour is a group tour, so other people can join. In case you want to make it a private tour, the amount of € 30 must be added to the total amount, and no other reservations will be accepted.
- WITH TASTINGS: it includes the addition of gastronomic tastings to the cultural tour. The price in this case is € 45 per person in total.
- AVAILABLE LANGUAGES: The standard tour is available in English and Italian; other languages are available with a small extra (which will be communicated before booking).
- CHILDREN: PlacenPeople organisers apply a total discount for children up to 3 years old, while the payment is half-price up to 10 years old, with a minimum payment of two adult fees. From 11 years old they are considered adults.
Duration and Period
Usually the Altamura tour takes no more than half a day (that’s why we recommend visiting two places in one day). The guided tours of Alberobello have a duration of about 2 hours, and almost all the organizers leave freedom of choice on the departure time. Available all year round.
Tours generally start with groups of 2 to 25 participants, but many organizers are flexible and also start with one person, or with groups larger than 25. On tours where you visit only one city, you meet directly on site: the organizer will indicate the meeting point immediately after booking, often agreeing this point with the guest.
Alternatively, if you choose a two-stage day tour (check tours of 2 locations) our organizers are available to offer – often free of charge – a ride by car (in the case of a few people) or to organize transport by bus or minibus (in case of groups).
How to book
📩- PlacenPeople will send your request to the Organizer and reply with his confirmation
💳- You will pay a deposit with PayPal or card. Activities in PlacenPeople are sold directly by the Organizers.
👍- You and the Organizer will talk by phone and meet on the day of the activity. You will complete the payment directly to him/her.
Acivity code: TOUR0007